Memory, as scientists have explained, is a complex neurochemical complex that is stored in the neuronal cells of our brain. As such, indefinite memories can be ‘stored’ in these cells and can be ‘read’ as and when required. Since memories are stored in brain cells and the cells become weakened as we grow older, memories can vanish at later part of our life. This is called senile dementia. This is a quite common and natural phenomenon. But, there are some disease processes that accelerate this loss of memory. Alzheimer’s disease is one of the most common causes of abnormal memory loss. If you want to know about how to prevent memory loss, you should carefully go through this article.
- Taking healthy and balanced diet – this is, by far, the easiest and cheapest way to retain your memory power. As we grow older, toxins accumulate in the brain cells. Foods that are filled with antioxidants can neutralize these toxins and help to maintain the normal physiological state. These will also slow down the inflammatory process in the brain cells during old age. Fresh green leafy vegetables and fruits are rich in antioxidants. Any kind if berries (blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, strawberry), grapes, plums, oranges, lemon, ripe papaya and fresh cherries are the top antioxidants. Broccoli, onion, asparagus, carrots are some vegetables that are rich in Vitamin B complex. These are of immense help to prevent amyloid deposition in the brain matter. Another powerful antioxidant, Omega-3 fatty acid also neutralizes amyloid deposition in brain. Amyloid is a substance which triggers the inflammatory procedure. Any sea fish like Mackerel, Tuna, Salmon and Sardine are rich in Omega-3 fatty acid.
- Take adequate sleep – you must sleep at least 8 hours a day to rejuvenate the fatigued brain cells. It also helps in proper circulation of blood.
- Regular exercise – this again helps in circulation of blood. As blood is the main carrier of oxygen and essential nutrients to every tissue, brain cells will get their necessary energy if you exercise regularly.
- Avoid stress – stress helps in release of some stress hormones like adrenaline and nor-adrenaline. These two hormones are notorious to evoke inflammatory responses in any part of our body. During the old age, when our brain cells become vulnerable to any kind of inflammation, stress can leave some detrimental effects in our memory.
- Reduce intake of alcohol and stop smoking – there is no need to elaborate the harmful effects of these two. Tobacco smoke is full of chemicals that can even help in formation of cancer.
- Avoid any trauma to the head – any trauma, especially in the old age, can lead to poor function of memory.
- Socialize – continuous interaction with your family members and friends will help you to maintain emotional brain function. This is more significant for the aged people in percolating memories associated with those people.
- Play memory games – there are several games especially designed to increase your memory power. Playing those games frequently will make your memory more powerful. Practice frequently any skill that you have learned freshly.
These are the common solutions to your query to how to prevent memory loss. Some easy lifestyle modifications and balanced diet can help to retain your memory power for a longer time.
Category: Health Fitness Tips - Health News
Tags: avoid memory loss, memory, memory loss, prevent memory, save memory