Health Benefits of Almonds
Almonds have only recently begun to receive the proper respect when regarded as a healthy food. For a long time, the common knowledge has been that almonds are way too fatty in order to be considered as a natural health snack alternative. Modern technology and research however, have begun to shed a different light on these tasty little snacks. Despite what people have long thought, there are definitely health benefits to almonds.
- While always being considered to be way too high in fat, modern testing has proven that 90% of all fat contained in almonds is unsaturated. While the FDA still recommends you keep your diet under control when it comes to foods which contain unsaturated fats, it is far superior to eating saturated fats when it comes to long term health issues.
Source – fritish
- Almonds contain a large number of nutrients which are essential to the healthy life of the human body. Very rich in proteins, fiber and calcium, all essential for growth and muscle/bone development. In addition, they also contain relatively high quantities of magnesium, potassium, vitamin E as well as a full complement of antioxidants.
- In addition to the great nutritional value of this tasty snack, it can be used in a variety of different dishes. Almonds can be added to salads, as well as a large variety of other great tasting healthy dishes. While being rather easy to get, it is easy for anyone to start incorporating this delicious snack into their daily food regimen.
- Long considered to be both brain and bone food, almonds also has a particular distinction as an anti-inflammatory, and anti-spasmodic. This makes them a rather smart choice for those who wish to stick to the natural way of living, since it is rather difficult to know everything that is in supplements.
- Despite popular belief before modern medicine, almonds actually help as a weight loss aid. While being high in protein, they are very low in carbohydrates. This makes them an excellent snack choice for diabetics, or anyone who may be having blood sugar issues. High protein and low carbohydrate diets have recently become refined since the Atkins diet, and are now still prescribed in variations at various weight loss clinics around the world.
- There are several chemicals contained in almonds that allow them to be considered as a very heart healthy choice. Phytochemicals including beta-sisteral, stigmasteral and campesterol are now thought to help in contributing to a healthy heart. Even eating a small handful of almonds a day can allow you to begin to reap these benefits by lowering your LDL down sometimes as much as ten percent.
- Anemia is yet another major health issue which can be improved by regular consumption of these easy to acquire snacks. Inside the average almond, is copper in an organic form. Along with iron and other vitamins, this can contribute to the body’s natural production of blood hemoglobin.
- Some prepared emulsions of almonds have been used in the treatment of chronic respiratory diseases. This can be helpful when dealing with hoarseness or a tickling cough. While it takes a little bit of simple preparation, it can be useful in treating whooping cough as well as bronchitis and asthma.
- Since they are rich in fiber, constipation is yet another ailment which can be dealt with by adding this simple snack into a daily diet regimen. Consuming several tall glasses of water will also increase these benefits. This is good for someone severely lacking in fiber, yet cannot deal with the drugstore solutions which can sometimes cause almost uncontrollable urges. A regular diet can go a long way in providing a healthy, longer life.
- Since being rather high in concentrations of folic acid, they are often eaten by expecting mothers since the acid has been shown to help reduce birth defects in newborn children. This can be doubly beneficial as both mother and child can reap the benefits of this most affordable snack.
- There are many lotions and pastes which contain almonds and there is a very good reason why. Almond oil can be applied to the skin, as well as almond milk. This greatly improves complexion to result in soft smooth skin. There are often mothers who will give their young child a gentle massage in almond oil to help promote healthy skin growth.
- While today there are many energy drinks, and high priced coffee beverages out there, the majority of the public simply does not ingest the right foods to maintain a balance of bodily chemicals that bring natural energy. Since almonds are so high in manganese, copper and riboflavin, it makes an excellent source of natural energy. Switching from the high priced beverages can not only save money, but protect you from health risks such as ulcers.
- As a side effect to the health benefits almonds have as pertaining to constipation, the chances of one contracting colon cancer later in life are greatly reduced. This is because with the regular movement of food through the colon, all that junk normally left behind isn’t there long enough to bring any long term ill effects.
With there being so many everyday recipes of which you can add almonds into, it quickly becomes obvious why they should be a part of any persons regular diet. Health foods like almonds not only benefit those that are already sick, but will aid greatly in promoting a healthier, active lifestyle. Almost every reputable grocer will carry almonds, and most often they are quite affordable when compared to the less healthy snacks out there.